Times Goes On

You grow up with him, constantly glued to his side as both allies and competitors in the game of life. You work with him, play with him, clean with him, and, more often than not, fight with him. 

Brothers can be a pain but, as an older daughter with only one elder sibling, my brother was one of my closest friends growing up. Yes, we would compete against each other and argue as siblings do, but when he desired my company, my heart would leap with joy, and I couldn't wait to do whatever he needed. Time goes on as time will do, and he met a beautiful girl at the prom he took me to. Lauryn was funny, sparkling, sarcastic, and had a wit to match his own. As the story goes, they fell in love, were married, and had my darling niece, Ezmae. I was no longer his partner in crime. He had a new soulmate now. 

As time goes on, we see each other grow. We gain friends and lose them, but siblings are always there even when they are bonded to someone else. It can be hard at times remembering what once was, but life goes on and when you need him, he is still there. When that boy broke my heart, his outrage was more than mine. When I was the maid of honor in their wedding, he hugged me and whispered in my ear, "You happy now?" as my eyes filled with tears. Yes, I cri
ed tears of both joy and sorrow at his wedding, as I realized things would never be quite like they used to be. That's okay. I love my brother with a passion. Though he can no longer be my partner in crime, I know he is there for me if I need him. Grant it, it might cost me $10 (-; , but he will be there. 

I have the pleasure of not only having an older brother but also an older sister in his wife. We share jokes and tease him, connect over past mistakes and comfort each other through tough times. I have not lost my brother; I have gained a sister and niece. 

Comments

Popular Posts